Of course you can always delete the contacts created in doo at any time via the respective contact details page. In addition, since April 2020 it has been possible to activate the automatic deletion of personal data stored during an event.
Attention: The deletion of contacts cannot be undone!
1. Manually delete individual contacts
- Go to the contact center ("Contacts" in the menu on the left) and search for the contact you want to delete.
- Click on the contact to go to the contact details.
- There you will find the option "Delete contact".
- Confirm the action.
- You will be redirected back to the contact center and receive a confirmation message that the contact will be deleted. Since the data is stored in several systems, it may take several hours to complete the process.
2. Automated deletion of contacts after the event ends
As a team administrator, you can specify in your organization settings that the data of bookers and attendees of an event is automatically deleted after any number of days after the end of the event. For example, should your organization have appropriate privacy policies, you can thus activate an automatic deletion process in doo for all your events.
When you use this feature, all contacts associated with bookers or attendees of the completed event are automatically deleted, and at the same time all personal information is removed from the booking and attendee lists of your event.
Contacts will be deleted after the time you specify if
- the contact is not in any other currently active/live event (whether as a booker or attendee)
- the associated booking in the completed event does not have the status "payment pending".
If the contact cannot be deleted (due to the above restrictions), the booking data in the completed events cannot be deleted either.
To activate the setting in your doo account, please proceed as follows:
- Call up the organization settings via the cogwheel icon in the top right corner.
- Activate the checkbox "Automatically delete personal data after the end of the event" under "Data management".
- Enter the desired number of days and save the changes.
- Since the data is stored in several systems, it may take several hours until any deletions that are already due for events that have already ended are completely finished.
Important: Please note that the settings for automated deletion apply to the entire doo account and are applied to all events regardless of their current status - i.e. also to events that have already been completed. The condition here is also that the associated contact can be deleted.
Deletions made by automation cannot be undone, just like manual deletions.
3. What are the consequences of deleting contacts?
If you manually delete a contact in doo or activate automatic deletion, all personal data associated with the corresponding contacts will be overwritten, unless there is a legal requirement to retain the data. This includes contact data as well as personal data from bookings where the contact is listed as a booker or attendee. In detail this means:
- The contact is deleted from the contact center from all contact groups.
- If the contact was a recipient of an email campaign, you will still see in the campaign details that an email was sent, but the contact's recipient information will no longer be available.
- If there are one or more bookings where the contact was a booker, the bookings themselves can still be viewed under the booking number in the booking overview. However, all booking data (name, e-mail address, address, answers to individual questions) are overwritten. If any other attendees in the booking are not connected to another contact, the attendee data will also be overwritten.
- If the deleted contact was "only" attendee of a booking - and not the person who made the booking - his or her attendee data will be overwritten accordingly. If the attendee contact was deleted manually - not by the automatic deletion process - the data of the booker as well as that of other attendees remains unaffected.
- Invoice documents are not deleted and are still available for download even after contacts have been deleted in the booking details. The reason for this is the legal requirements for storing invoice documents.
- Links to the booking portal of bookings with at least one deleted contact as well as the unsubscribe links in e-mail campaigns expire and are no longer accessible.
4. Why can I not delete some contacts?
A contact cannot be deleted if there are still current bookings for it, i.e:
- Active bookings for current events
- Non-confirmed bookings for current events
- Unfinished bookings for current events ("payment method open")
- Bookings with outstanding payment (for open and closed events)
You can only delete the corresponding contact after the current bookings have either been rejected or cancelled or, for points 1-3, after the event has ended.